Sunday, April 3, 2011

birchwood cafe

This morning the girls and I ventured out to the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis. A neighborhood known for it's environmentally friendly efforts and we found a cafe specializing in "good real food," so I was very excited to try this place out.

We arrived right when they opened their doors at 9 a.m., which I am glad we did because the place filled up quickly. And I quickly learned why!

APPEARANCE: Clean, chalkboard style restaurant - you order at the counter and then they bring your food. There was a certain "crunch" about this place, as you are encouraged to compost and recycle. The highchair I pulled was a little grubby, but that tends to be standard in most restaurants.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: They were implementing a new system today, so there was a little confusion going on, but everyone was very friendly. I was a little disappointed when they handed me a cup of hot coffee, a muffin on a plate and a table number while my left arm was holding Hayden (who doesn't walk much yet). I would have taken up an offer to get these items, particularly the hot coffee to the table, but I did manage to do it on my own.

FOOD: DELISH! Hadley scarfed her whole plate of cage free scrambled eggs, who grain toast and fruit. Usually Hayden consumes the whole plate, Hadley wasn't willing to share. I ordered the Brunch Scrambler that had a feta type cheese, black beans and peppers in it. Plus it was served with whole grain toast, fruit and rosemary potatoes (which I don't often pass up). But I do need to mention that the decaf wasn't too hot and I found a lemon seed in it, which grossed me out a bit.

KID FRIENDLY: They have high chairs and a small kid menu, so it certainly was by those standards. They didn't offer coloring sheets, but the food was delivered quickly and I didn't feel we needed them.

PRICE: On the more pricey side, at least the kids menu. $6 for an egg, a little fruit, toast and juice. My scrambler was $10 and came with twice the amount of food.

VISIT OR STAY AWAY: Absolutely, VISIT! I plan on going back there for lunch sometime and Hadley has already requested to go back.

Birchwood Cafe is located at 3311 E. 25th Street in Minneapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment