Sunday, March 6, 2011

yum! kitchen and bakery


This morning the kiddos and I ventured out to yum! in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, just off of highway 7. I've been here for excellent baked goodies (ok, cupcakes, but they have lots of other things), but this was really the first time I ordered "food".

APPEARANCE: Hip, contemporary restaurant. You order at the counter, self-serve your beverages and your food is brought to you. Very clean. And tables full of goodies other than food to purchase. Also, LOTS of seating, which is nice, especially when you have two kids crawling all over you.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: A little lacking, to be perfectly honest. When I approached the counter, no one was to be seen. Once the employee came to take my order, he just looked at me. He didn't say hello. Or ask if I was ready to order.

FOOD: We ordered the yum! Breakfast and the Brulee Oatmeal.

The sausage patties on the yum! Breakfast seemed to be cooked yesterday morning and reheated, and it was served with dry toast and I didn't see butter or jelly anywhere. The girls gobbled up the potatoes and eggs, so not all was lost.
The Brulee Oatmeal was a hearty oatmeal with a sugar crust on the top. It was so sweet it was difficult to eat. The girls even refused it. Unfortunately, this was $4.95 wasted, but I'm sure someone out there likes it.

KID FRIENDLY: To some degree, yum! is kid friendly. They have cupcakes to delight little eyes, tables of kid trinkets to pester their parents to purchase, and high chairs (albeit a broken one). Other than that, not so much. No kid menu. When I inquired about a beverage for my 2 1/2 year old, I was offered a cup with a lid and sent over to pour her some milk. All fine and well, but the straws were double the size of the cup, making consuming a glass of milk challenging for a wee person.
PRICE: Not the least expensive place in the world, but not the most expensive, either. The yum! Breakfast, Brulee Oatmeal, a cup of coffee and glass of milk cost me $15. Cupcakes sell between $2-$3.

VISIT OR STAY AWAY: I think yum! is worth a visit for a cup of coffee and sweet treat. Perhaps the lunches are delish, but I was certainly underwhelmed by the breakfast.

yum! is located at 4000 Minnetonka Blvd., St. Louis Park.
_______________________________________________

Do you have a restaurant suggestion for the kiddos and I to try out in the  Twin Cities? Or do you want to submit a review? Shoot me an email or comment on this post.

2 comments:

  1. Realistic review - love the pic of the straw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bummed to hear breakfast was not so yum! I have always loved my dinners there... you cannot pass up the cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete